Thursday, February 16, 2012

Route 66: Day 42-46: Numbers 1-7

The more I read about the Israelites the more my perception changes about them. I have to admit I have been lazy when it comes to some of the books of the Bible. I just let the teachers do all the work of getting the info into my head  and never took  the time to do anything more than a skim. The problem with that is I never really got a clear view of how well these people were organized. 

Throughout the first few chapters of Numbers we have seen governors appointed, an army  established, neighborhoods laid out and jobs distributed. Everyone had a purpose and responsibly within their community. When they moved from place to place, the people knew where their family and friends were according to the way the camp was set up.  It made it easy to keep track of each other. When they brought offerings everyone participated. No matter the numbers of any individual clan they contributed equally.  All of this structure, I believe, was intended to bring a sense of unity and equality to this nation of people. I now picture this bunch of nomadic wanderers as a significant force to be reckoned with.

Once again I am thankful for this forced march through the Scriptures. Every day I am seeing new things about old stories. Hope you are having the same experience. When we finish this journey, our church as a whole will be more knowledgable about who God is and the power he has given us through the wisdom found in his words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment