Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Route 66: Light the Way


I love, Love, LOVE how “God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” in all things. [ Romans 8:28] Each lesson he showed me yesterday had a common theme of living a fully surrendered life. Even the songs at Bible study lent their words to reinforce the fact that my life is best lived in total obedience to my God. One thing that God has been showing me through this is, when you give yourself over to the idea you are going to follow the road ahead becomes smooth. I don't know what it is but I have a feeling is is we who place those rocks in our way when we question God's wisdom. Hmmm...
Today, our reading in Route 66 took us though the beginning of Jesus' teaching. Found in this group of verses is the teaching on salt and light. I really love his concept on both these things but it was light that God wanted me to consider at the moment. How do I know? This is the picture I received from a friend on Facebook this morning. Isn't it amazing? It gave me a picture of exactly what Jesus was saying in Matthew 5:14
 I saw some thing similar when flying to Seattle a few years back only there was quite a bit of cloud cover that night. It did not, however, block out the lights of the towns and cities I passed over. I could see their lights glowing through the mist. It was an equally beautiful sight. Just think, we are light in our families, neighborhoods and communities. Just as in this picture, we stand out and draw attention. When we gather there is more light but even separately we illuminate the dark spaces. It's a beautiful thing.

If I may, please let me give you one more thing to consider. How did you feel the last time the lights went out? Lost, fearful, uncertain? We need to embrace our roles as light in a world living in darkness. Let's draw attention to the One we draw power from. Plug into Him and SHINE your light!
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand,
and it gives light to everyone in the house."
 Matthew 5:14-15
[This incredible image of the Wilmington area at space as taken from the International Space Station. To see an incredible full video fly-over of the US at night, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObnEpRccHM&feature=player_embedded#! ]

2 comments:

  1. I am just so grateful that God is always directing my path. I am just along for the ride. That doesn't mean I don't do my part of the work when he presents wonderful opportunities. That's where we have opportunity to Shine for Him.

    He cares about EVERY PART of our lives when we give it all to him. Here's a recent example of the amazing blessings he bestows in a domino effect:

    (Let me preface this by saying, it is nearly impossible to find a job in my city of Wilmington, esp. one that is not tourism or service industry related.)

    My husband, Dave, travels for business A LOT. (blessing #1, D has a good job!) He had the opportunity recently to upgrade a friend to a first class status for 6 months. He chose to upgrade me since I fly home to Indy to help with my dad every other month or so. I rode in first class on the way to Indy last week, what a TREAT. (blessing #2)

    I happened to sit beside a young woman who also lives in Wilmington and works in a 'niche' bank that services the healthcare industry. We had a lovely conversation from clothes, to Christian Women's Job Corps, to her work. It dawned on me (from the Holy Spirit, I know it!), that my son, Luke, is a rising senior with a degree in Finance from UNCW. He has been looking for an internship. So, I asked her if her bank offers internships. She said yes and often they hire their interns. I told her about Luke and she gave me her card and said to have him send her his resume. (blessing #3)

    It took a week for Luke to email her with his resume. But, once he did, he had an interview within 24 hours and was 'hired' as an intern (with them voicing that he will probably be hired after he graduates) on the spot. (blessing #4)

    THAT WAS ALL FROM GOD!!!

    I have had some trials and tribulations. God has brought me through those as well. But, I think it's so important to remember when things are going well, it's still all coming from the Lord.

    (sorry for the novel, but I wanted to share how good God is.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very exciting story, Bonny. I love to hear about the interesting ways God uses to work out his plan in our lives. I love all those blessings. Thanks for sharing. And thank you for passing along the blog to your friends. That was one of many blessings for me today. :0)

    ReplyDelete